The National Forestry and Grassland Administration (NFGA for short)is to implement the guidelines and policies, decisions and plans made by the Party Central Committee governing forestry and grassland work. In the implementation process, NFGA shall adhere to and reinforce the Party's centralized and unified leadership in forestry and grassland work. The main responsibilities are as follows:
1. To be in charge of the supervision and administration of forestry and grassland, and their ecological conservation and rehabilitation. To work out the policies, plans and standards regarding forestry and grassland, and their ecological conservation and rehabilitation, and to organize the related implementation; to draft the laws and regulations concerned, sectoral rules and protocols; to organize the dynamic monitoring and evaluation of forest, grassland, wetland and desertified land as well as terrestrial wildlife.
2. To organize the conservation and rehabilitation of forest and grassland ecosystem , afforestation and greening; to organize the implementation of key programs on forest and grassland conservation and rehabilitation; to guide the cultivation of public benefit forests and commercial forests, and to guide and supervise the national compulsory tree planting and urban/rural greening campaign. To direct the quarantine and control of organisms detrimental to forest and grassland. To undertake the related work in the fields of forestry and grassland in response to climate change.
3. To be responsible of the supervision and administration of the resources of forest, grassland and wetland. To draw up the national forest cutting quota and supervise its accomplishment. To be in charge of the management of forest land; to draw up forest land protection and use programs and organize their implementation. To guide the delimitation and management of national-level public benefit forests; to manage the state-owned forest resource in the major state-owned forest regions. To be responsible for grazing prohibition on grassland, balance of fodder and livestock and grassland ecological restoration; to supervise and manage grassland development and use. To be responsible for wetlands ecological conservation and restoration; to draw up wetlands conservation programs and related national standards, and to supervise and manage wetlands development and use.
4. To be responsible for the supervision and management of desertification control. To organize and carry out the survey over desertification; to organize and work out programs for the prevention and control of desertification and stony desertification as well as programs for closed protection zones on desertified land. To draft the related national standards, to supervise and manage development and use of desertified land, and to organize the prediction and forecast of sandstorm disaster, and the emergency disposal.
5. To be responsible for the supervision and management of terrestrial wildlife. To organize and conduct survey on terrestrial wildlife resource, to formulate and adjust the national key protected wild fauna and flora lists. To guide the rescue and propagation of terrestrial wildlife, the restoration and development of habitats, monitoring of wildlife epidemic diseases, supervision of hunting or gathering, captive breeding, business use of terrestrial wildlife, and to supervise and administer the import and export of wildlife in accordance with the work division.
6. To be responsible for the supervision and management of all kinds of protected areas. To draw up plans and related national standards for different protected areas. To be in charge of the establishment, plan and construction and concession of national parks. To be responsible for the assets management of the natural resource of protected areas such as national parks where the central government directly exercises their ownership, and for the national land use. To put forth review and proposal and submit for approval according to stipulated procedure for new establishment or adjustment of national-level protected areas. To organize and appraise the applications for the World Natural Heritage, and appraise, jointly with other organizations concerned, the applications for both the World Natural Heritage and World Cultural Heritage. To be responsible for the related work of biodiversity conservation.
7. To be in charge of the promotion of related work of forestry and grassland reform. To set forth opinions and supervise the implementation for collectively-owned forest ownership system, important reforms of key state-owned forest regions, forest farms and grassland. To lay down policy measures for forest development in rural areas and for the safeguard of the legal interest of forest proprietors, and to guide the contracted operation of forest land in rural areas. To carry out the work of returning the farmland (pasture) to forest and grass, and be responsible for natural forest protection.
8. To draw up policies for the optimum allocation of forest and grassland resources, and policies for timber use. To formulate national standards for forest industry and supervise the implementation; to organize and guide the supervision of forest product quality; and to guide the work related to ecosystem services for poverty alleviation.
9. To guide the infrastructure construction and development of state-owned forest farms; to organize the general survey of germplasm resource of forest tree seeds and grass seeds, organize the establishment of the germplasm resource bank. To be in charge of the selection and extension of fine varieties, administer the production and business operations of forest tree seedlings and grass seeds; supervise the quality of forest tree seedlings and grass seeds. To supervise and manage the germplasm resource of forest and grassland organisms, safety of genetically modified organisms and protection of new plant varieties.
10. To guide the work of forest public security in the country, supervise and administer the forest police teams. To direct the investigation and prosecution of major criminal cases in forestry in the country. To be responsible for related administrative law enforcement and supervision, and to guide the governance of public security in forest regions.
11. To be responsible for fulfillment of the requirements mandated by the program of comprehensive disaster prevention and mitigation, to organize the formulation of forest and grassland fire prevention and control plan, protection standards and guide the implementation. To guide the fire prevention patrol, fire source management, construction of fire facilities and other work. To organize and guide the state-owned forest farms and areas, and grassland to carry out fire prevention activities such as publicity and education, monitoring and early warning, supervision and inspection. When necessary, the Ministry of Emergency Management may be called for to deploy relevant prevention and control work in the name of the National Emergency Command Agency.
12. To supervise and administer national funds and state-owned assets in the sector of forest and grassland; to put forward suggestions on investment within the budgets for forest and grassland, and on the arrangement of national fiscal budgets ; to review and verify investment projects within national programs and annual plans within the limits of authority prescribed by the State Council. To participate in the formulation of forest and grassland economic regulatory policies and organize the implementation of payment for ecosystem services in the forest and grassland sector.
13. To be responsible for forest and grassland science and technology, education and foreign affairs; to guide the capacity building for the sector of forest and grassland in the country; to organize and implement international exchanges and cooperation on forest and grassland; to undertake the implementation of international conventions on wetlands, desertification combating and endangered wildlife.
14. To accomplish other tasks assigned by the CPC Central Committee and the State Council.
15. Change of functions. The National Forestry and Grassland Administration shall earnestly intensify the protection of the macro-ecosystem, carry out important ecosystem protection and restoration projects, strengthen the overall coordination of the supervision and management of forest, grassland and wetlands, vigorously promote land greening and safeguard the national ecological security. The establishment of a protected area system with a focus on national parks will be accelerated. All kinds of protected areas will be conscientiously sorted out, standardized and integrated in a united way, and a consistent, standardized and efficient national park system will be set up with Chinese characteristics.