A Resolution on Accelerating Forest Development by the CPC Central Committee and the State Council
(June 25 , 2003)
Enhancing ecological improvement and maintaining ecological security is a common theme facing humans in the 21st century and a significant basis for sustainable economic and social development in China. In order to build a relatively affluent society in an all- round way and accelerate the socialist modernization drive , China must follow a civilized development road featuring improved productivity , prosperous livelihood and sound ecology , so as to achieve coordination between economic development and population; resources and environment; and the harmony between man and nature. Forests are a major part of the terrestrial ecosystem. Forestry is a significant public undertaking and a primary industry，shouldering an important task of ecological improvement and supply of forest products. Therefore it is of great importance to improve forestry. The following resolution has been adopted in an attempt to accelerate forest development , achieve the magnificent objective of building a picturesque landscape and promote national economic and social development.
Ⅰ. Enhancing Forest Development is A Pressing Prerequisite for Sustainable Economic and Social Development
1.Great achievement have been made in the forestry sector in China. Since the founding of the People' s Republic of China. especially following the adoption of the reform and opening-up policy , the CPC Central Committee and the State Council have attached great importance to forestry work and adopted a range of policy measures , which have greatly boosted forest development. Activities have taken on a prospect of further development of the National Voluntary Tree- planting Campaign and involvement of the whole society and people in forestry and greening. Remarkable success has been made in development of such ecological projects as the Three-north Shelterbelt Development Project , and the key programs , including the Natural Forest Protection Program , the Program for Conversion of Cropland into Forests and Desertification Combating Program , have been proceeding smoothly and greatly improved the ecological conditions in some local areas. Protection of forest , wetland and wildlife has been enhanced. Progres s has been made in forest industrial restructuring. Development of various commercial forest bases is in the ascendant. Forest product industry has been beefed up. Economic forest , bamboo and rattan , flower and plant industries as well as ecotourism are developing rapidly. Integrated development of mountain areas has been proceeding in depth. A relatively complete organization , legislation and operation network for development , maintenance , protection and use of forest resources has taken shape. Since the founding of the People' s Republic of China , the forestry sector has offered in succession over 5 billion cubic meters of timber. Currently the forest cover nationwide has reached 16.55% , and the plantation area ranks the first in the world. Forestry has made significant contributions to national economic development and ecological improvement and played an increasingly important role in facilitating agricultural and rural economic development in the new stage , and increasing urban and rural employment opportunities and farmers’ income.
2. Sustainable economic and social development requires an imperative and considerable change in China’s forestry. With economic development , social progress and improvement of people' s living standard , it is increasingly imperative that the society should accelerate forest development and improve ecological conditions. Forestry enjoys an increasingly prominent position and role in economic and social development. Forestry must meet not only the diversified demand of society for timber and other forest products but also the need for ecological improvement and safeguarding national ecological security. Ecological demand has become a priority of society from forestry. China’s forestry is in a critically transitional period , experiencing a historic shift from a focus on timber production to ecological improvement.
3. Accelerating forest development is still confronted with a situation pregnant with grim possibilities. Currently China' s ecological situation characterized by local improvement and overall deterioration has not been fundamentally reversed , and land desertification , wetland loss and biodiversity devastation are still aggravating. Such cases as indiscriminate deforestation , encroachment on forest land and poaching on wild fauna and flora are a matter of common occurrence even if they are forbidden. Forest fires , pests and diseases are still imposing a serious threat to forests. Forest management and operation systems do not fit in with developing circumstances. Small scale of forest industry with low technology and inappropriate structure , and an outstanding conflict between timber supply and demand have led to sluggish increase in the income of forest employees and masses and slow development of social undertakings. Generally speaking , China is still a forest resource-poor country with a serious shortage of gross volume of forest resources. With fragile overall functions , forest ecosystems have increasingly sharp conflict with social demand. The forestry reform and development task is unprecedentedly arduous.
4. Forest development must be placed in a more prominent position. Forestry work must be given great emphasis and further intensified in the course of building a well-off society and accelerating the socialist modernization drive so that China' s forestry will be able to experience a frog - leap development. Forestry should be placed in an important position in the implementation of the sustainable development strategy , a top priority position in ecological improvement and a basic status in developing the west.
Ⅱ. Guiding Thought , Basic Principles and Major Tasks for Accelerating Forest Development
5. Guiding Thought. Take Deng Xiaoping theory and the important thought of the “Three Represents ,” as guidance , implement the essentials of the 16th National People' s Congress in depth , define a sustainable forest development road with a focus on ecological improvement , establish a national ecological security system comprising mainly forest vegetation and a combination of forest and grass , build an ecologically civilized society with a scenic landscape , make greater efforts in protecting , developing and wise use of forest resources , achieve forest development in a frog leap way and enable forestry to better serve national economic and social development.
6. Basic Principles
a. Stick to the principle of mobilizing the entire nation , people and society to get involved in forestry.
b. Stick to the principle of integrating ecological , economic and social benefits , with ecological benefit taken as a top priority.
c. Stick to the principle of strict protection , active development , scientific management and sustainable use of forest resources.
d. Stick to the principle of combining government dominance and market regulation and carrying out categorized operation and management of forests.
e. Stick to the principle of respecting natural and economic laws , suiting measures to local conditions , rational distribution of arbor , shrubbery and grass , and coordinated development of urban and rural forestry.
f. Stick to the principle of revitalizing forestry by science and technology.
g. Stick to the principle of forest management according to law.
7. Major Tasks. Increase forest resources , raise the overall functions of forest ecosystems , and the effective supply of forest products and the income of forest employees and farmers through improved management of existing forests , expansion of new plantations , sound implementation of the Conversion Program and optimization of forestry structures . Strive to raise the forest cover in China to over 19% by 2010 , alleviate soil and water erosion in major river basins and desertification in main desertified areas , bring overall deteriorating conditions nationwide under initial control and rationalize the forest industrial structure. Increase the forest cover to over 23% by 2020 , solve the major ecological problems in key regions , remarkably improve ecological conditions nationwide and enhance forest industrial strength. Increase and maintain the forest cover to over 26% by 2050 , build a picturesque landscape , bring ecological conditions into a favorable cycle , alleviate the conflict between supply and demand of forest products and establish a comparatively complete forest ecosystem and a comparatively developed forest industrial system.
In order to achieve the above objectives, we must strive to protect natural forests , wildlife resources, wetlands, ancient and well-known tree species. We must establish headwater conservation forests , soil and water conservation forests , sand breaks and embankment shelterbelts for major watershed , marginal desertified land and coastal areas. We must cover barren mountains and hills suitable for afforestation , farmland ridge , urban and rura1 areas , roads and canals with green. Efforts must be made in establishing timber forests , economic forests , fue1wood forests , flower and plants and other commercial forest bases . We must strive to establish forest parks , urban forests and other recreational forests. Meanwhile efforts must be made in accelerating forestry restructuring and improving forestry economic benefits. We must accelerate renovations in forest management system and forest operation mechanism so as to mobilize the enthusiasm of various walks of life to get involved in forest development.
Ⅲ. Implement The Key Forest Programs in An Attempt to Promote Ecological Improvement
8. Continuous efforts must be made in implementing the key forest programs. Efforts must be intensified in implementing the Natural Forest Protection Program , managing harvest of natural forests and further protecting , rehabilitating and developing natural forest resources in the upper reaches of the Yangtze River , the upper and middle reaches of the Yellow River , and in the northeast , Inner Mongolia and other regions. We must strive to implement well the Program for Conversion of Cropland into Forest and Grass land , carry out the relevant compensation policy for local farmers , develop follow-up industries with market potentials based on agricultural restructuring and specialized industrial development so as to deal with the long-term livelihood of local farmers affected by the conversion program. We should proceed with development of the shelterbelt programs in such key regions as the ‘Three-north’ and the Yangtze River , suit measures to local conditions and disasters , establish various shelterbelt networks and focus efforts on management of these ecological disasters of various types. We must strive to carry out the Sandification Control Program for the Vicinity of Beijing and Tianjin in a down-to-earth manner , protect and increase forest and grass vegetation through such measures as delimitation of closed protected areas , planting trees and grass , small catchment management , captive breeding , ecological emigration and wise use of water resource so as to bring the sandification threat to the capital and other major areas under effective control as soon as possible. Great emphasis must be put on the Wildlife Conservation and Nature Reserve Development Program , rescue of endangered rare and precious species, rehabilitation of typical ecosystems , expansion of nature conservation areas , rise in conservation level so as to enhance conservation of wildlife resource , wetland resource and biodiversity. We must strive to accelerate the development of forest industrial bases with a focus on fast-growing and high-yield timber forest. Intensive forestry should be developed in areas where conditions permit. Efforts should be intensified in developing timber forest and other commercial forest bases so as to increase effective supply of timber and other forest products and alleviate the pressure on ecological improvement.
9.National Voluntary Tree-planting Campaign should be carried out in depth and different approaches adopted to develop social afforestation drive. Voluntary tree-planting approaches should be continuously diversified and improved. Involvement of citizens of the right age in the tree-planting campaign should be increased and actual success of the tree-planting campaign enhanced. The tree-planting campaign should be implemented based on jurisdictional management , whereby townships in rural areas and residential districts in urban areas are regarded as tree-planting units. A registration system and a verification system for the tree-planting campaign should be established and improved. Extent of liability for sectoral and employer’ s greening activities must be clearly defined , a system for division of labor with individual responsibility should be carried out , and supervision and check must be intensified. Overall planning should be undertaken by integrating the green corridor project with road construction and management of rivers and canals so as to have a rational layout and rapid development. Beautifying environment should be integrated with enhancing ecological functions for urban greening , and development standard should be improved step by step. The military , social organizations , overseas businessmen and the public should be encouraged to get involved in the afforestation drive so as to give rise to an afforestation and greening pattern characterized by multiple bodies , layers and forms.
IV. Optimization of Forestry Structures for Further Industrial Development
10. Upgrading of forest industrial structures should be accelerated. Industrial regrouping should be promoted and resource disposition optimized to cope with the change in ecological improvement and market demand so as to accelerate the development of a new pattern of forest industry characterized by developing forest resources as a basis , intensive processing as the leading factor, and advance of science and technology as the support. Intensive management should be encouraged to develop raw material plantations and timber forests. We should be active in developing timber processing industry , especially intensive processing , so as to extend the industrial chain , achieve multiple appreciation and increase the integrated timber utilization rate. Efforts should be focused on developing new , special and quality product industries , including cash crops , ecotourism , bamboo and rattan , flower and plant , forest food , rare and precious tree species , medicinal materials and captive breeding of wild fauna , in order to develop new forestry economic growth points. Great efforts should be intensified in developing special local forest products for export by taking full advantage of China’ s vast territory rich in biological and labor resources.
11. Guidance and regulation on forest industrial enterprises must be intensified. Forest industrial development plans and policies should be mapped out in a timely manner in accordance with market needs , resource conditions and industrial basis so as to offer guidance for healthy industrial development and avoid duplicated low-standard forest enterprises. Products of famous brand and leading enterprises should be encouraged for development , while an operation approach whereby companies lead bases which are linked with farmers should be extended so as to accelerate forest industrial development. Specialized cooperative organizations should be offered support for further development , socialized service system improved , markets for forest products and key forestry production elements must be developed and standardized so that timber produced by farmers is allowed to go directly to the market , and farmers' access to the market is expanded , thus enhancing forest industrial vitality.
12. Efforts must be intensified in further opening forestry to the outside world. Forestry development should be accelerated by taking full advantage of two markets and resources at home and abroad. Efforts must be intensifìed in introducing overseas capital , resources , improved seeds , technology and management expertise to deal with vulnerable forestry basis and arduous development tasks in China. We must strive to expand the scale of utilizing overseas capital , and encourage foreign businessmen to invest in afforestation and develop forest product processing industry. Policies conducive to expanding export of forest products should be worked out and an export promotion mechanism for forest products be improved so as to enhance the international competitiveness of chinese forest products. We must stick to the implementation of the ‘ going global’ strategy and intensify efforts in overseas forest development. We must be active in undertaking forest certification so as to fit in with international standards as soon as possible. Effective measures must be adopted to enhance control over the protection and export of germplasm and prevent harmful foreign organisms from intrusion. Relevant international conventions must be honored and international exchange and cooperation in the field of ecological protection enhanced.
V. Deepening Reform in Forestry Systems to Enhance Forestry Development Vitality
13.The forest property right system must be further improved. This is the basis for mobilizing the enthusiasm of various walks of life to get involved in afforestation and boost sound and rapid forestry development. Property rights of forest owners must be strictly protected according to law so as to safeguard their legitimate rights and interests. Legal effects of forest tenure certificates must be safeguarded if forest tenure is clearly defined and forest tenure certificates have been issued. Forest tenure certificates must be issued as soon as possible if forest tenure is clearly defined but forest tenure certificates have not been issued. Forest tenure must be clearly defined or mediated as soon as possible if it is not clearly defined or controversial , and forest tenure certificates must be issued in a timely manner. Relevant procedures must be gone through as soon as possible according to law after cropland has been converted into forest. The private hills which have been delimited and operated gratuitously by farmers fo r a long time must not be regained by force. Forest trees on the private hills are owned by farmers without exception. Measures must be taken to ensure that the private hills must be covered with green within a definite time if they have not been afforested yet. Validity of the contract must be maintained for responsibility hills subcontracted to individual households. The contract can be extended upon expiration if the previous contracting practice proves to be reasonable. The contract can be extended after relevant contracting practice has been improved if the previous contracting practice is verdicted to be obviously unreasonable by law. The extended contract must be signed in written form and the duration of contract must follow relevant regulations. After going through relevant procedures , the signed contract for extension can be extended to a legal time limit if the duration of contract is less than the legal term. If farmers are unwilling to extend the contract , they can return the Responsibility hills to the collective economic entities for other disposal. For the forest managed and operated , at present , by the collective in a unified way , it needs to treat it differently , provide it with guidance in the light of different classifications and explore actively effective management methods. The operating forms need to be stable and improved continuously if the share - holding and cooperative forest farms are well managed with satisfaction of masses. For forest land in a wide range of area , the approach of “dividing shares and profits among the people while keeping mountains and forests intact” can be taken and the property rights need to be gradually given to individuals. For the scattered forest land , the ownership of forest and trees and tenure rights of forest land can be priced rationally and transferred to individuals for management. The operation entities can be identified for the barren mountains and hills suitable for afforestation through direct household contracting , public bidding and auction , or after the barren mountains and hills being exploited by the people organized by the collective. For the barren mountains and hills in great diffculties for afforestation , the tenure rights in a certain period of time can be transferred freely ， by means of public bidding , to the capable units or individuals for development and management and , however , these barren mountains and hills must be covered with trees within a limited period of time. The approaches to be taken must be based on the democratic decision made by the members of the collective economic organization and the members of collective economic organization can enjoy the priority of management rights.
14. Speeding up the promotion of rational circulation of tenure rights of forests , trees and forest land. Based on definite tenure rights , the government encourages rational circulation of tenure rights of forests , trees and forest land. Various social entities can participate in the circulation of tenure rights through contract , lease , transfer , auction , negotiation and allocation. The key task at present is to promote the tenure circu1ation of the State-owned and collectively owned barren mountains , waste land and sandy land suitable for afforestation. The State-owned and collectively owned barren mountains , waste land and sandy land suitable for afforestation without manager , or with the manager who has no capability of afforestation , can be , according to some rules and regulations promulgated by the government , given to nearby army units , production and construction corps or other units for afforestation. The people who plant trees will own the trees. The tenure rights of forests , trees and forest land can , in accordance with law , be inherited and mortgaged , taken as guarantees , shares and capital or condition for joint venture and cooperation. It is to cultivate active1y the market for standing timber , set up the agency for evaluating forest resource assets , promote the rational circulation of forests and trees and motivate the initiatives of managers and operators in investment and development. It is compulsory to standardize circulation procedure and enhance circulation management. Service work for circulation needs to be well done , registration for tenure change needs to be done timely and the 1egal rights of the parties concerned need to be protected. During the circulation operation , occurrence of forest illegal cutting and destruction , change in forest and use , change in nature of the forests for public benefits , and loss of the State-owned assets is forbidden. After circulation , supervision and management of foresty development fund need to be strengthened. The forestry competent authority of the State Council , together with other departments concerned are urged to make specific measures of circulation of tenure rights of forests , trees and forest land and then implement them after the approval of the State Council.
15. Going all out to develop non-public forestry.The government encourages the trans -sectional , Trans-regiona1 and different ownerships of socia1 entities to invest in and develop forestry. The capable farmer households , urban residents , technicians , private businessmen , foreign investors , working staff of institutions and enterprises and governmental organizations can participate independently or cooperatively in forestry development. The legal position of non-public forestry needs to be further defined and the policy of “the people who plant the trees will own the trees, the trees planted cooperatively will be owned by joint parties” implemented. The policy of unified tax , utilization of resources and investment and financing will create a fair competitive environment for various kinds of forestry operation entities.
16. Deepening reform in management system of key State-owned forest areas， forest farms and nurseries. The management system of forest resources with the combination of duties with responsibilities and profits , and management of assets with personnel and affairs needs to be set up. With the principle of separating the functions of the government from those of enterprises , the functions of forest resource management need to be separated from forest enterprises and to be carried out by the State-owned forest management agency as a representative of the government and as a financial contributor who will shoulder responsibilities and enjoy owner' s rights. The social administrative function undertaken presently by forest enterprises needs to be gradually separated from the enterprises and borne by the government , so that the enterprise can become a real independent operation entity and participate in market competition. The State-owned forest enterprises will , with the principle of specialization and cooperation , carry out restructuring and resettle down the laid - off and surplus workers and staff members. The forestry competent authority of the State Council , together with the people' s governments of some relevant provinces , autonomous regions and municipalities directly under the Central Government and some departments concerned of the State Council , needs to work out the specific reform plan and then implement it after the approval of the State Council. The forest farms can be defined either as a type of forest for public benefits or as commercial forests in terms of deepening reform in the State-owned forest farms. The structure and operation mechanism within the farm need to be readjusted accordingly. The farms in the type of forest for public benefits will take conservation and cultivation of forest resources as its major task and be managed as the unit of public benefits with its fund being borne by the local government at the same level in the administrative area. The farms in the type of commercial forests and the State-owned nurseries need to carry out an overall enterprise management and to be operated in the light of market mechanism and to be responsible for their own decisions about their operation and for their own profits and losses; while protecting and cultivating forest resources and producing resources' ecological and social benefits , they can carry out flexible and various kinds of operation approaches , develop actively diversified economies , tap maximum potentials of production and management and enhance development vitality. The difficulties and problems concerning production and daily life of working staff in the poor State-owned forest farms and nurseries need to be paid close attention to and solved. The reform in forestry management system for the public ownership forestry needs to be speeded up and barriers of administrative areas to be broken down encouragingly. With the principle of voluntary and mutual benefits , through combination , mergence , and share-holding system , it is to establish the trans-regional forest farm and nursery cooperative entities , realize appropriate scale of operation , reduce operation cost and raise economic benefits.
17. Cαrrying out a management system of forest classification. Under the prerequisite of forestry with multi-functions , in the light of different major uses , the forestry in the whole county is divided into the forestry for public benefits and commercial forestry , for which the different management and operation systems and policy measures can be taken. The system of Quota for Allowable Cut needs to be reformed and improved and different resource management measures for the forestry for public benefits and commercial forestry can be carried out. The forestry for public benefits needs to be managed as public welfare with the funds mainly coming from the government and all walks of life for joint forestry development. The commercial forestry needs to be managed as a primary industry with its resource being distributed by market and necessary supports from the government. The government will give rational compensations in different ways to the investors whose forest resources have been listed into the forest for public benefit. The present forestry investment and management methods need to be gradually changed. While improving the public bidding and reimbursement system , parts of fund for afforestation need to be allocated for exploring the way of direct purchase of the non –State–owned forest for public benefits established by social entities. The fund for the development of forest for public benefits and compensation fund for forest ecological benefits will be borne by the Central Government and the local governments at various levels in the light of their duties and responsibilities. The establishment of certification system for the forest for public benefits needs to be speeded up.
VI. Strengthening Policy Support , Ensuring the Long-term and Stable Forestry Development
18. Enhancing the government 's input into forestry development. The fund for development and management of the forest for public benefits and for key infrastructures needs to be listed into the fiscal budget of the governments at various levels and allocated as a priority .The fund for key ecological development programs relating to the national economy and the people' s livelihood requires to be ensured by the financial department of the government. The fund for regional ecological development programs planned by the local government needs to be listed into the local financial budget. The counterpart fund for ecological development programs within the sectional plan needs to be listed into an overall budget of relevant programs. The compensation fund for forest ecological benefit needs to be respectively listed into the financial budgets of the Central Government and local governments and gradually increased. Part of the fund for supporting agriculture including the fund used for providing work as a form of relief and agriculture comprehensive development needs to be added to forestry development. Part of the fund for social and public welfare establishment including prevention of forest fire and control of forest pests and diseases , development and extension of high - quality seeds and seedlings in the Forest industrial Base Development Program in Key Regions with a Focus on Fast - growing and High- yielding Timber Plantations and the establishment of commercial forest of precious and rare tree species needs to be allocated by the government. The subsidy criteria of afforestation for various ecological development programs need to be gradually standardized. While deepening reform the key State-owned forest areas , the local governments concerned need to bear the input of social undertakings originally borne by forest enterprises and the government needs to provide necessary support.
19. Enhancing financial support for forestry development. The government will continuously carry out a long-term and lower- interest credit policy. The specific loan period can be decided between the bank and enterprise after negotiation in the light of tree growth period and the financia1 discount interest can be provided according to situation. The financial agencies concerned need to soften loan terms to individua1s who plant and cultivate trees and expand small credit and coinsurance of loan to farmer households and forestry workers and staff members. The forestry operators and managers can , according to law , apply for bank loan with their forest and trees as pledges. Forest enterprises are encouraged to enter the market for floatation.
20. Reducing the burden of taxes and fees on forestry. Various kinds of favorable tax policies promulgated by the government should to be implemented and standardized. In accordance with an overall requirement for tax reform in rural areas , the Special Agricultural Products Tax for logs and bamboo needs to be gradually cancelled. The objective is to eliminate the irrational fee collection from forest farmers and other forest managers and operators. The collection, management and use of the Silvicultural Fund need to be reformed. The Silvicultural Fund collected needs to be gradually returned to the forest managers and therefore , the fund shortage of forestry management units at grass-roots due to the return of Silvicultural Fund can be solved by the financial department.
VII. Enhancing Forestry Vitality by Means of Science and Technology and Insisting on Forestry Management According to Law
21. Strengthening forestry science , technology and education. Great attention should be paid to the forestry basic and applied research and development of high and new technologies and the capability of forestry scientific and technical innovation. The research on key technologies including selection and breeding of superior tree seeds and stocks , afforestation in very poor climatic conditions , control of serious forest pests and diseases and desertification , monitoring of forest resources and ecology , preservation and use of germ plasm , management of forest and agricultural intercropping , management and control of forest fire , processing and transferring of main economic forest products need to be conducted and developed. Efforts need to be made in establishment of key forestry laboratories， important field observation posts and stations , the data base of forestry science and forestry information network. The design , implementation and supervision and inspection of key forestry development programs must be in pace with those of extension of forestry technology. The reform of forestry scientific and technical system needs to be deepened. While giving support to basic forestry research and the research on the forest for public benefits , the government propels actively the non - public forestry scientific research and technical extension to enter market. Forestry research units , forestry universities and colleges and technicians are encouraged to set up enterprises in a technical type , establish scientific and technical demonstration plots , develop contracted system and provide technical consultancy services in order to speed up the transformation of scientific and technical findings. The system of forestry technical extension and service should be enhanced and the scientific and technical teams stabilized. Ample rewards should be given to the units and individuals who have made great contributions to the forestry scientific research , extension of new techniques and development of new products. Relevant policies should be improved to promote the combination of forestry with science and public awareness , technology with industry and trade. The forestry standardization needs to be promoted and forestry quality criteria and inspection and testing system established and improved. The international cooperation in the field of forestry science and technology needs to be continuously intensified. In accordance with the characteristics of forestry development , it is necessary to set up forestry education and training system of various kinds of talented people and stress on the training activities of forestry workers and staff members in order to raise an overall quality of forestry personnel.
22. Enhancing forestry legislation. The enhancement of legal procedures should be accelerated in the forestry legislation and worked out timely laws and regulations relating to the conservation of natural forest resources and wetland , management and operation of the State-owned forest resources , tenure circulation of forests , trees and forest land , supervision and use of forestry fund , monitoring and management of quality of forestry programs , development of key forestry programs , and at the same time the existing laws and regulations should be revised according to the new situation. It is to intensify the efforts in law enforcement , protect and manage strictly forest and wild fauna and flora resources , severely crach down the criminal activities including illegal forest cutting and destruction of forests , illegal reclamation and encroachment of forest land and illegal hunting of wildlife and illegal digging and harvesting of wild plants randomly. The supervision and management system of forestry law enforcement is necessary to be strengthened , the forces of law enforcement and supervision to be enriched , the condition for law enforcement and supervision to be improved and the qualification of law enforcement teams to be raised. The education in forestry laws and regulations , ecology and ethics should be enhanced and a better law enforcement social environment for executors to be created.
VIII. Enhancing the Leadership of Forestry Activities
23. The Party committees and governments at Various levels should pay great attention to forestry work. The importance and urgency of enhancing forestry development for implementation of sustained development strategy and building-up of a well-off society need to be fully aware of Forestry development should be listed into the plans of the national economy and social development , for which , people' s awareness needs to be raised , responsibilities to be defined , policies to be implemented and job to be well done. The departments concerned must carry out their own functions and responsibilities , to cooperate with one another and support forestry development. In the light of requirement of speeding up forestry development , it needs to enhance the forestry administrative management system and improve forestry administrative organizations in the governments at various levels. The forestry dynamic monitoring system should be set up and improved , the existing onitored resources to be integrated , the dynamic monitoring of forest resources , land desertification and other ecological changes to be carried out and the results to be regularly published to the public. Forest extension and service system should be also set up and improved. The forestry working station at township level is a grass-roots organization that carries out organizational management for forestry production and operation as well as its daily responsibilities of policy publicity , resource maintenance and protection , forestry law enforcement , production activities , technical extension and socialized service. The people working in forestry sector should still keep up the spirit of plain living and hard work and of being non -selfishness , and make new contributions to the promotion of forestry development.
24. Insisting on and improving responsibility system for leaders in their terms of office in forestry development. The duties and responsibilities of the Central government and the local governments should be rationally designated in the field of forestry development. The Central Government takes the lead in the forestry work nationwide and is mainly responsible for working out forestry laws . and regulations , policies and the national forestry development plans , provides guidance and solves key forestry and ecological problems occurred among provinces , regions and municipalities as well as nationwide and helps the local governments to speed up forestry development. The local governments at various levels are fully responsible for forestry work in their own areas. The chief officer of the government is the first one responsible for forestry work and the leader in charge of forestry activities shoulders a major responsibility. In order to achieve the main targets , the responsibility system will be carried out with strict inspection , awarding and punishment , which will be enforced under the supervision of the National People' s Congress at the same level. The organizational departments of the local Party committee and organizations responsible for inspecting discipline and supervision will take the responsibility system as an important basis for evaluating cadres' performances , selecting and appointing , and awarding and punishing cadres. For the national key forestry development programs , the management system with the plan and task assigned , the fund allocated and the responsibility distributed down to provinces must be persisted in. The progress report of programs needs to be checked and circulated regularly. A responsibility-tracking system will also be set up regarding to the key illegal cases of forest destruction , fund misuse and poor program quality. The responsible leader who has violated rules and regulations will be investigated and affixed.
25. Mobilizing the whole society to show concern and provide supports to forestry work.The Trade Union , Women's Federation , the Communist Youth League , the people' s militia , youth and student organizations and other social groups at various levels will play their roles and mobilize all walks of life to Join in greening the country' s landscapes. The People' s Liberation Army and the armed policemen have made important contributions to the conservation of forests and greening of the motherland and they will still carry forward continuously the fine traditions and shoulder actively the afforestation tasks. Forestry publicity and education need to be enhanced and the ecological safety awareness of the whole nation to be raised continuously. The relevant forestry and ecological knowledge should be popularized in educating the middle and primary school children. News media is asked to put the forestry publicity into the category of publicity for public benefit. Local governments and departments need to unite closely around the Party Central Committee with comrade Hu Jintao , General Secretary at the core , hold high the banner of Deng Xiaoping theory , carry out seriously the important thought of the “Three Represents , ”mobilize and organize the entire people to throw themselves into the great cause of forestry development and exert themselves in the work for making China become a socialist and modernized county with beautiful mountains and clean rivers , ecological harmony and sustainable development.